Monday 9 March 2015

Harewood 10k 2015 - Race Review

The 2014 Harewood 10k was given the accolade of Race of the Year*, so it was little wonder that I was really looking forward to Sunday's 2015 race around the grounds of Harewood House.  Last year the race was a slight diversion from my half marathon training, this year however I'd not been putting in anywhere near the same miles so I didn't really know how the day would pan out.

I had missed a load of long runs in the weeks before the race and my involvement in South Leeds Lakers and helping out at Farsley Flyers has meant that my midweek runs have been shorter, and slower than they should have been, but none of this dampened my spirits.

You see, this is not a PB course.  It's not fast and flat, far from it.  The appeal of the Harewood 10k is its setting.  I do all of my running in town, the closest I get to running off road or in the countryside is the canal tow path as it meanders through an industrial landscape.  Harewood is literally a breath of fresh air.

I set off early with my cheerleaders, well aware that the road to Harewood can snarl up at the drop of a hat, and made it in plenty of time to hear the tannoy guy wish good luck to the South Leeds Lakers.  If I wasn't already in a good mood that unexpected announcement really gave me a lift.  I met up with Gavin and John, two more of the Lakers and chose to ignore the group warm up.

There was then a 15 minute delay to the start of the race.  I assume this is because of people still trying to get onto the grounds but with nobody telling us what was going on it's only speculation.  When we finally got underway I settled into a comfortable pace.  For the first time ever I didn't go out all guns blazing, but was running comfortably under 5 minutes per kilometre.  By the time I was at the top of the first hill at 4k I was a minute under my predicted time.

I stopped pushing and tried to steady my pace at 5 minutes, well aware of what was coming up at the end of the race.  I took the time to look at the scenery which is not something you would choose to do at the Leeds 10k.  In no time at all I passed the 7k marker and braced myself for "The Hill".

I had started the day with two targets.  The first, last years time 54:10, the second, The Hill.  I was determined to get up the 1k long climb without breaking to a walk.  Last year it had defeated me early on, this year I kept going, kept moving my arms, kept my head up and shoulders back, kept running.  I made it to the top and pushed on past the 9k marker.


Rounding the final turns of the course I knew that The Hill had done its job and robbed me of running under 50 minutes but I still had time in the bank to better my previous time.  As I hit the home straight my ears erupted as friends and family started yelling my name.  I found one last burst of energy and crossed the line in 50:10, over 4 minutes faster than last year.

I love the Harewood 10k.  There were issues at the end with emptying the car park.  We were sat for around an hour in stationary traffic, but frankly if taking a bit of time to go home "ruins" your day and you believe that Age UK have "a trust mountain to rebuild" before entering one of their races again, I think that says more about you than them.

The Harewood 10k is already the first run on my list for 2016 but for the first time I will train specifically for it, more hills, more miles, and the prospect of a sub 50 run.

*by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment