Monday 9 February 2015

South Leeds Lakers

Back in December I wrote about an opportunity that had come my way.  I had been asked if I wanted to undertake training to become a run leader.  I'll be honest, even as I was writing that blog post I knew my mind was made up.  I'm a solitary runner.  Pulling on my trainers and going out for a run on my own is where I find my peace.  Joining others just didn't appeal that much.  But then, over the Christmas Holidays, something changed.

A good friend, Kat, was pondering going for a run on Facebook and managed to talk herself out of it.  I suggested that we could meet up bright and early the following morning and I would take her out for the run that she had missed.  She was wary as she was only just getting back into running after injury.  She wasn't mad keen on a chilly run along the canal first thing in the morning either but that is exactly what we did.

That 10.6km run was on the 1st January 2015, my first run of the year.  We were both a little hungover from New Years Eve festivities, but we talked each other around.  It was this run that made me rethink the idea of becoming a run leader.  I knew that Kat wanted to run but just needed a little gentle encouragement to get through the door.  We both had a good time with no pressure for PBs and, selfishly, I felt great knowing that I had helped her get on her feet.

A couple of weekends ago I attended Leadership in Running Fitness, last week a handful of us had a meeting on the streets of Beeston, discussing a new running group for the area, and tomorrow (Tuesday 10th February 2015) I will lead out a group of runners for the first time.  I'm both excited and nervous.  What if nobody turns up?  What if there are too many people?  What happens if a hardcore runner turns up and expects drills?  Only time will tell I guess.


Two years ago I wasn't a runner.  Just a couple of months ago I was a dyed in the wool solo runner.  As of tomorrow I will be Run Leader for South Leeds Lakers, a mixed ability and mixed gender running group.  We'll be keeping it simple and friendly with the focus on the social side of running and having fun, not on races.  If you fancy joining me for a gentle run please feel free, we're meeting up at 7pm outside Beeston Co-op on Old Lane.  Hope you can come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment