Friday 12 December 2014

The Long and Lonesome Road

Since I took up running back in September 2012 I have done so on my own.  It's not that I'm naturally a solitary person, preferring my own company to that of others.  For me the beauty of running is being able to pull on my trainers and hit the road whenever I'm ready.  The idea of running with others always feels like it is adding an unnecessary level of complexity to what is a very straightforward activity.

When I was stood waiting for my first race* to start I couldn't help but think that I could have completed the distance and been at home by the time we finally got under way.  I was reluctant to join the local parkrun for similar reasons.  I can see the park from my house, but I convinced myself that if I wanted to run 5k on a Saturday morning I could be drinking my second coffee of the day long before 9am, the allotted parkrun start time.  I even had the wonderful "Saturday is a rest day" excuse to avoid running with other people while I was in training for the Leeds 1/2 marathon.

I have recently started getting into parkrun though.  At first it felt just like a race day, waiting for the "3, 2, 1, GO!" and wondering if I could have already been eating a bacon buttie instead of still standing about in a park.  Eventually, after a few weeks, I started chatting to some of the other runners, things changed and I started to get into the spirit of things.  When I couldn't run due to injury I still went to volunteer at parkrun, believing that if I couldn't run myself, then the least I could do would be to help others by cheering them on and timing their efforts.

I've come to recognise the camaraderie that can exist between fellow runners.  The community spirit at Cross Flatts parkrun is wonderful, with people of all abilities cheering each other on and, certainly between the other volunteers, comparing injuries like Quint, Hooper, and Chief Brodie did whilst hunting 'Jaws'.  But still, whenever I take part at parkrun, the second I hear "GO" I zone out and enter my own insular running world.

The idea of running with somebody, whether as a training partner or just for a social run is still very foreign to me.  That said, last week I had company on two of my runs and I really enjoyed it.  The concept of running at conversational pace is something that I have struggled to get my head around, but running with Mark and Debs allowed me to do just that.  The combination of running while putting the world to right without talking to myself could be an addition to my self-help armoury.

Cross Flatts parkrun

The question is, do I actually want to do more social running?  Running clubs feel a bit too formal and regimented.  Running groups are few and far between in South Leeds, and those that I could join tend to start while I'm still at work.  This gap in running provision has been picked up on by Ben from Run England, who has approached me about ME becoming a run leader.  Me, a solo runner.

I'll be honest, I am tempted.

Planning runs and routes is one of the many parts of running that I really enjoy.  I certainly like encouraging others to run, although I try not to be too evangelical as I know full well that too much encouragement in any direction can have the opposite effect.  That said some company could make even the worst run more enjoyable so why not run in a group?

It's time for me to put my thinking cap on, most probably during my next few runs.  I suppose making the effort and going out for some organised runs would help me see what I would be letting myself in for if I signed up for the training.  I also need to consider if becoming a run leader would impact on my enjoyment of running and, more importantly, whether it will impact on my training for next years races including my first marathon.

I have a lot of unanswered questions and that is where you come in.  Do you run with others or are you a solo runner? If a new evening run group started in South Leeds would you be interested?  I would love to hear your thoughts. 

*2013 Leeds 10k.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read
    Firstly : no two ways about it , parkrun is a beacon of wonderfulness in every community . Ours has toddlers to people in their 70s . It has super fasties and people who walk. I am so glad you have become part of yours it really is a rewarding experience and about much more than the running .

    I personally run in three ways . On my own, with a running club ( Saltaire Striders - let's just mention how fab they are ) and also with a group of guys on a Sunday , the Bradford MAMILS .

    On my own is usually slow but good for last minute runs or day time runs.

    Running with the club has without doubt helped me grow exponentially as a runner. I have smashed all my distance PBs in last 2 months from 5k right up to Marathon. Training nights are friendly and relaxed and you can push yourself as hard as you want, it works for me as I hang on to a slightly faster runner and just push . I draw on that both mentally and physically in races. You could trial your local running club and you may be surprised at how informal it is .

    Sunday runs with the MAMILS are even more informal and are about distance for marathon training . I need to run with others for marathon training . I would just want to cry it I I did it alone as it's tough ! I also stop more and appreciate the views and take photos on these runs .

    Another thing not mentioned is the power of virtual running partners. Signing up for a group eg 100 Mile Nov or Advent Running is a fun way if encouraging people virtually when they post their progress . It's nice to have that reciprocated to .

    The way I run and what works for me probably reflects my personality , I am better with people . Some people really enjoy their own company and solitary running can be an excellent way of sheer focus,

    We are all different and I think it's about finding what suits and whether you run for results or for the sheer joy of being alive and appreciating nature .

    The important thing is to be out there doing it

    Hooray for running

    ReplyDelete