Wednesday 8 October 2014

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining

Last week I received some very exciting news through the post.  A bright red envelope from the organisers of the London Marathon.  Inside was a rather stylish winter training top, a letter, and a magazine.  Like people up and down the country I knew there and then, that I was NOT going to be running in the 2015 London Marathon.

For most people, the "Sorry!" you're not running letter was a kick in the teeth.  I know one lad who has had the same news six years in a row.  He, along with thousands of others, are understandably crest fallen.  Running a marathon is a huge achievement and takes serious dedication.  Even taking the first step and signing up to one is a step too far for many, so entering the ballot for the London Marathon and then waiting for six months to discover that you don't have a place is gutting.

I, on the other hand, am actually very glad that I didn't get a place.  When I entered the ballot back in April, I was at the peak of my training for the Leeds Half Marathon and already looking for my next challenge.  I decided 2015 was going to be the year that I would run a marathon.  It made sense.  My first 10k 2013, first half marathon 2014, first marathon 2015.  Then I could stop.

However, part of my plan for entering London was to be going for 10 to 12 mile runs regularly by the time the ballot was drawn.  As I'm sure you are aware I'm not running at all at the moment due to an ongoing knee injury.  I couldn't even manage a 5k parkrun at the moment, never mind the 13.1 miles of a half marathon.  If I had been successful I would now have until April to get marathon fit.  It took me that long last year to get from running 10k to the start line of the half marathon!


So I'm relieved that I didn't get a place for London.  It has taken a great deal of pressure off me.  I can now concentrate on getting back to running at a more sensible pace.  I can take my time and make sure my knee is better before putting it under any more strain than is necessary.

2015 will still be the year that I run my first marathon, it just won't be London.  Before all of that though, there is the small matter of the Abbey Dash on 16th November.  All things being equal I'll make it round in one piece.  I don't think my time of 57:18 from last year is in danger, not if I want to stick to my slow recovery plan.  It'll be nice to be able to treat it as a long slow run and enjoy the silver lining that I will be running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment